Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Overview The AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power (ACT UP / Boston) was founded in 1987 by activists Raymond Schmidt, Stephen Skuce, Donald Smith, and Paul Wychules to focus local efforts to speed up the development of AIDS treatments, educational programs, and prevention strategies. The membership was a diverse, nonpartisan group of people united in anger and committed to direct action to end the AIDS crisis in Boston and throughout the country. The organization was most active from 1988 - 1994 during which...
Dates: 1987-2007 (bulk 1988-1995)
Overview David Stitt was a member and volunteer with the AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power Boston chapter (ACT UP/Boston). He was involved with a few of the organization's projects, most notably the production of Attitude! newsletter. Stitt also participated in the "rubber fairies" (a program to promote safer sex) and the IV League (a needle exchange program). ACT UP/Boston was founded in 1987 as a way to focus local efforts in support of the development of AIDS...
Overview The AIDS Action Committee of Massachusetts, Inc. was founded in 1983 by a group of volunteers. Larry Kessler, one of the founders of the AIDS Action Committee, became its first Executive Director in 1983. The AIDS Action Committee began its life as a special committee of the Fenway Community Health Center and in 1986 became an independent entity. It is the oldest and largest organization in New England dedicated to helping persons with Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and HIV (Human...
Dates: 1975-2007 (bulk 1987-1996)
Overview The Boston Living Center began in 1988 as a peer-run community center and meals program for individuals with HIV/AIDS. The Center expanded its outreach activities and now offers daily meals as well as many events, workshops, and fundraisers for the AIDS community. Its two largest events are their annual Celebration of Life Thanksgiving Dinner and annual fundraiser Dinnerfest. Originally located in the Claredon Street YWCA, the Center moved to 29 Stanhope Street in 1995. In 2012, the Boston...
Overview For 40 years from 1971-2011 the Hispanic Office of Planning and Evaluation (HOPE) was a prominent community based organization with regional offices in Boston, Lawrence, and Springfield, Massachusetts. HOPE offered a variety of educational and health and human services programs for the Latino community of Massachusetts in the areas of college readiness, health promotion, prevention education, technology training, and workforce and leadership development. Program highlights included an annual...
Dates: 1957-2012 (bulk 1982-2011)
Overview Sociedad Latina de South Boston, a cultural, social, and recreational organization, was founded in 1968 by Jorge Rivera, David Rideout, John Carroll, and Lynn Minna to promote cultural, social, and recreational activities of the small Latino population in the South Boston neighborhood. In 1981, the organization changed its name to Sociedad Latina and moved to Tremont Street in the Mission Hill neighborhood. Since its inception, Sociedad Latina has worked with Latino youth to promote...
Dates: 1968-2007 (bulk 1985-1999)
- Subject: Safe sex in AIDS prevention X
- ACT UP / Boston 1
- ACT UP Boston (Organization) 1
- AIDS Action Committee of Massachusetts 1
- AIDS Action Committee of Massachusetts, Inc. 1
- AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power (ACT UP / Boston) 1
- Atteratta, David 1
- Bennett, Timothy 1
- Boston Living Center 1
- Boston Public Health Commission 1
- Camhi, Leah 1
- Council of Administrators of Hispanic Agencies (Boston, Mass.) 1
- D'Alessandro, Sheila 1
- Duran, Jose 1
- Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs 1
- Hernandez, Haner 1
- Hispanic Office of Planning and Evaluation (Boston, Mass.) 1
- Hispanic Office of Planning and Evaluation, Inc. 1
- Kessler, Larry, 1942- 1
- Massachusetts. Department of Public Health 1
- Massachusetts. HIV/AIDS Bureau 1
- Meinhofer, William 1
- Morales, Cathy 1
- National Council of La Raza 1
- Ojeda, Julia 1
- People Living With HIV (PLWH) -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program (U.S.) 1
- Schmidt, Raymond 1
- Skuce, Stephen 1
- Sociedad Latina de South Boston, Inc. 1
- Sociedad Latina, Inc. 1
- Stitt, David 1
- Timothy Smith Network (Roxbury, Mass.) 1
- United States. Centers for Disease Control 1
- United States. Department of Education. Office of Postsecondary Education. Federal TRIO Programs 1
- United States. Department of Health and Human Services 1
- United Way of Massachusetts Bay (Lowell, Mass.) 1 ∧ less