Record Group Term
Found in 18 Collections and/or Records:
Overview In February 1969, Northeastern University's African American students submitted a proposal to establish the Afro-American Institute and a Black Studies Department. Students envisioned that the Afro-American Institute would provide an academic, cultural, and political base for black students on campus. Northeastern University's Board of Trustees approved setting up the Afro-American Institute in the Forsyth Annex and appointed Charles Turner director. At the Norfolk House in John Eliot Square,...
Overview As early as 1914, Northeastern University offered musical activities for its students. Beginning with the Northeastern Symphony Orchestra, early musical activities included the Banjo Club, Dance Band, Pep Band, and wind ensemble. In 2011, there are nine different groups in the Band Association: concert band, jazz band, wind ensemble, pep band, and orchestra, as well as blues/rock, rock, fusion, and electronic ensembles.
Dates: 1959-2006 (bulk 1967-1979)
Overview The first non-denominational Northeastern University chapel service for students was held in 1927. The position of Dean of Chapel was established in 1940, and the Bacon Memorial Chapel was erected in the student center in 1947. After 1960, when NU President Asa Knowles lifted the ban against denominational religious groups on campus, religious life at NU began to flourish. In 1966, the volunteer chaplains formed the Chaplain's Association to help support the administrative aspects of religious...
Dates: 1961-2012 (bulk 1977-2010)
Scope and Content Note The collection includes minutes of the Committee's meetings and interim reports which are interfiled chronologically. Both document various personal petitions, scholastic and disciplinary probation sentences, withdrawal petitions, and hearings for rescheduling exams.
Overview Northeastern University's Office of Admissions formed in 1927 under director Milton John Schlagenhauf, replacing a Committee on Admissions. Enrollment increased drastically after World War II, from 3,623 students in 1944 to 10,671 in 1947, and it steadily increased each succeeding year. Northeastern University made a concerted effort to recruit students and provide scholarships to those who could not afford college. In 1960, an Associate Director of Admissions was hired in response to the...
Overview In the spring of 1998 and the spring of 1999, students in HST 4263, an oral history class offered by Northeastern University's University College, completed oral history projects as part of the course curriculum. Taught by Susan Keats, the course introduced students to oral history techniques such as planning, interviewing, auditing, editing, and transcribing. In 2003, University College stopped offering HST 4263. Oral history is now covered as a topic in Public History. Susan Keats received a...
Overview Northeastern University offers an undergraduate minor in Latino, Latin American and Caribbean Studies, an interdisciplinary course of study in history, music, political science, language, and sociology/anthropology. History 1537, "Latin American and the Caribbean in Boston," is one of five undergraduate history courses offered in the program. In 1998, the class was taught by Felix V. Matos Rodriguez, assistant professor of history, 1994-1999, and interim director of the Northeastern University...
Overview The Department of Theatre is part of the College of Arts, Media, and Design and was formerly part of the Division of Performing and Visual Arts. In the mid-1980s, the director of the Department steered it toward productions that would add to Boston's performance culture rather than duplicate what was already being performed. As a result, the department collaborated with a number of innovative local companies, including the Boston Theater of the Deaf, and Northeastern's Silver Masque, a...
Overview The Division of Student Affairs was originally known as the Office of the Dean of Students. In the 1950s, the office comprised a dean of freshmen, dean of women, and dean of men. In 1970, the Office of Dean of Students was reorganized into the Division of Student Affairs, and many of the tasks that had originally been handled directly by the dean and his assistants were separated into departments that reported to the Vice President of Student Affairs. Among these services were counseling and...
Dates: 1933-2008 (bulk 1965-1985)
Overview The collection consists of motion picture reels documenting life at Northeastern University. Included are films of the groundbreaking and construction of Richards Hall, Dodge Hall, Cabot Physical Education Center, Hayden Hall, Ell Student Center, and Churchill Hall. Also included are films of the naming of the Cabot and Ell buildings, President Knowles' inauguration, and President Ell's Alumni Testimonial Dinner. Each reel has been copied to VHS format. There are four master VHS copies for the...
Overview The Northeastern University (NU) Office of University Photography (OUP) is responsible for the public image of NU as represented in photographs and videos. OUP provides photographic support and expertise to NU's marketing, news, and public relations publications.
Collection — Multiple Containers
Overview Northeastern University was founded in 1898 as a primarily commuter school with an all-male student body focusing on engineering and law programs. Since then, the University has expanded and now has six basic colleges, graduate and undergraduate programs in a wide variety of fields, and a diverse student body. The photographic collection reflects the history and development of the University from the early 1900s to the present day, including the expansion of Northeastern's physical plant and...
Dates: 1903-2009 (bulk 1950s-2009)
Overview The Office of Public Information was established by Northeastern University President Asa S. Knowles in 1959. In the mid-1980s, Senior Vice President for Public Affairs, James B. King divided the office into two subdivisions: University Relations and Public Relations. The Division of University Relations focused on internal communications while Public Relations focused on external relations. In 1986 the Office of Public Information became the Office of Communications whose mission was to...
Overview The Office of Educational Opportunity Programs and Service-Learning (OEOP/SL) at Northeastern University (NU) was established in the 1993-94 academic year. Holly M. Carter, whose career at NU began in 1973, became dean of the OEOP/SL. The OEOP/SL was charged with: 1) coordinating University-wide community service-learning initiatives; 2) serving as a clearinghouse for internal and external community service-learning resources and information; 3) developing initiatives in community...
Overview The Office of Institutional Research and Data Administration collects data for and about Northeastern University. Overseen by the Office of the Provost, the statistics the Office compiles are used to analyze and improve the institution as a whole, in order to better benefit students, faculty, alumni, staff and the outside community. Prior to being called the Office of Institutional Research and Data Administration, or OIR, the Office went through several name changes. From the years 1959-1961,...
Overview Prior to 1975, matters relating to international affairs at Northeastern University were the joint responsibility of the University Relations Office and the Student Center. In 1975, several committees were established to address the needs of a growing population of international students. Responsibilities shared among these committees included international recruitment, coordination of international visitors, and addressing the cultural, legal, and academic needs of foreign students. These...
Dates: 1951-1991 (bulk 1977-1988)
Overview Compiled by Northeastern University's Office of Public Relations, the scrapbooks consist entirely of newspaper clippings, mostly from Boston and regional newspapers, concerning news items related to or involving Northeastern University and its faculty, staff, students, and alumni.
Overview Northeastern University's (NU) Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) division was formed in January 1951 with two units, the Corps of Engineers and the Signal Corps. ROTC trained young men (and later young women) to become officers in the United States Army by providing both academic instruction and physical training. ROTC enrolled 886 men in its inaugural year, and by the end of the decade, membership had reached 2,800. By the early 1960s, the NU ROTC program had become the largest in the...
Dates: 1949-1981 (bulk 1951-1969)