Universities and colleges -- Administration
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 9 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The Administrative Committee of the Basic Colleges comprised of the deans of the Basic Colleges of Northeastern University and met regularly to discuss issues pertaining to the administration and daily running of the colleges. The four original Basic Colleges were the College of Business Administration, the College of Engineering, the College of Liberal Arts, and the School of Law. In response to the academic community's demand for increased specialization, the number of colleges at...
Overview The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) is one of the Basic Day Colleges that makes up Northeastern University (NU). It offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in the arts, humanities, social sciences, mathematics, and natural sciences. Headed by a dean, CAS is organized by academic department, interdisciplinary program, or center for specialized study. The dean has responsibility for managing educational policy, faculty issues, student services, and budgeting, and often delegates these...
Dates: 1924-2002 (bulk 1965-1992)
Scope and Content Note The collection includes minutes of the Committee's meetings and interim reports which are interfiled chronologically. Both document various personal petitions, scholastic and disciplinary probation sentences, withdrawal petitions, and hearings for rescheduling exams.
Overview Gerald H. Herman, professor and administrator at Northeastern University, was born in 1944 in Brooklyn, New York. He received his Bachelor's degree in 1965 from Hunter College and his Master's degree in 1967 from Northeastern University, and was appointed to his first teaching position at Northeastern in 1967 as an instructor in the History Department. His focus as a historian has been modern and contemporary European cultural and intellectual history, focusing on the relationships between the...
Overview Northeastern University was founded in 1898 as a primarily commuter school with an all-male student body focusing on engineering and law programs. Since then, the University has expanded and now has six basic colleges, graduate and undergraduate programs in a wide variety of fields, and a diverse student body. The photographic collection reflects the history and development of the University from the early 1900s to the present day, including the expansion of Northeastern's physical plant and...
Dates: 1903-2009 (bulk 1950s-2009)
Overview Carl Stephens Ell (CSE) was the second president of Northeastern University from 1940 to 1959. During his tenure as President, CSE was responsible for the accreditation of several of NU's academic programs and the rapid expansion of the physical plant. His other positions at NU included instructor at the Co-operative School of Engineering of the Boston YMCA (1910-1912), Head of the Department of Civil Engineering (1912-1917), Assistant Dean of the School of Engineering (1914-1917), Dean of the...
Overview Asa Smallidge Knowles (ASK) was the third president of Northeastern University (NU) from 1959 to 1975. Under ASK's leadership, NU expanded its academic offerings, and all of its programs were accredited. Enrollment doubled, and the number of resident students increased dramatically. NU's physical plant grew to include five campuses, and its financial assets experienced significant growth. Between 1967 and 1972, NU faced various student protests concerning student rights, the Black Power...
Overview Frank Palmer Speare (FPS) was named the Educational Director of the Evening Institute of the Boston YMCA in 1896. He transformed the loosely organized school into an institute for higher learning that eventually became Northeastern University (NU). He oversaw the launching of several of NU's early schools: the evening law school, the now-defunct automobile school, the evening polytechnic schools, the school of commerce and finance, and the co-operative engineering school. In 1916 the Evening...
Overview Prior to 1960, Northeastern University was divided into separate schools, each with its own Office of the Registrar. In 1960, the Office of the Registrar of the Basic Colleges introduced a data processing system and began to look at the possibility of bringing together all of the registrars. Merging of these individual offices began in 1963 with Lincoln College and continued through the 1960s with the addition of four new basic colleges between 1960 and 1966. By 1978 all sections of...
Dates: 1920-2000 (bulk 1950-1975)