Record Group Term
Found in 13 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Born in Indiana in 1899, Byron K. Elliott was a member of the Northeastern University Corporation from 1954 to 1996 and Board of Trustees from 1955 to 1972. In 1959, he became Chair of the Corporation and the Board of Trustees, and served as such until 1971. In 1963, Elliott also co-developed the Graduate School of Actuarial Science at Northeastern University with Harold A. Garabedian and Asa S. Knowles. Byron K. Elliott earned a Bachelor's degree from Indiana University in 1920 and a law...
Overview Northeastern University was incorporated in 1916 as the Northeastern College of the Young Men's Christian Association. In its first two decades, at least two-thirds of Northeastern University's Corporation members were directors of the Greater Boston Y.M.C.A. The Board of Trustees of the Endowment Funds was established in 1924. In 1927, it became the Board of Trustees of the Permanent Funds, but disbanded in 1932. On January 22, 1937 the Corporation founded the Northeastern University Board of...
Overview Northeastern University's Office of University Advancement was established in 1959 and includes the division of Corporations and Foundations, which promotes capital gifts and grants from corporations, foundations, and other organizations. Its efforts have resulted in funding for new buildings, expanded academic offerings, professorships, and scholarships at Northeastern University.
Overview Since its founding in 1896, Northeastern University has expanded its campus from a few buildings on Huntington Avenue to a sprawling campus. After initially renting space in the Botolph Building and the Boston Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA), the University built its first building, Richards Hall, in 1939, and continued to grow from there. A push towards building dormitory spaces in the 1960s helped to transform the University from a commuter college to a residential college. At the...
Dates: 1855-2006 (bulk 1955-1970)
Overview This collection comprises artifacts that were either presented to or created by Northeastern University (NU), including items such as awards, flags, banners, medals, clothing, paperweights, coasters, pins, dishware, figurines, and jewelry. Some of the items have links to particular individuals or groups; others are representative of NU as a whole. Of special interest is a class sweater worn by a member of the Class of 1926. (The NU Photograph Collection contains photographs of a freshman class...
Overview The collection consists of motion picture reels documenting life at Northeastern University. Included are films of the groundbreaking and construction of Richards Hall, Dodge Hall, Cabot Physical Education Center, Hayden Hall, Ell Student Center, and Churchill Hall. Also included are films of the naming of the Cabot and Ell buildings, President Knowles' inauguration, and President Ell's Alumni Testimonial Dinner. Each reel has been copied to VHS format. There are four master VHS copies for the...
Overview The Northeastern University (NU) Office of University Photography (OUP) is responsible for the public image of NU as represented in photographs and videos. OUP provides photographic support and expertise to NU's marketing, news, and public relations publications.
Overview During the 1960s and early 1970s, the Office of the President was responsible for coordinating and overseeing all building dedications and major events. In the mid 1970s, this responsibility was transferred to the Office of University Functions, renamed the Office of Special Events when President Kenneth G. Ryder began his administration. During the 1990s, the Office of Special Events was renamed the Office of Conference and Event Planning.
Overview Northeastern University's Office of Planning was established in 1959. Since 1982 it has been known as the Office of Physical Planning and Design. The Office is concerned with the design and expansion of Northeastern University's physical campus and buildings, and space planning for educational programs. Prior to 1959, the Building Committee and other special committees of the Board of Trustees handled Northeastern University's physical expansion.
Dates: 1903-1997 (bulk 1960-1987)
Overview Carl Stephens Ell (CSE) was the second president of Northeastern University from 1940 to 1959. During his tenure as President, CSE was responsible for the accreditation of several of NU's academic programs and the rapid expansion of the physical plant. His other positions at NU included instructor at the Co-operative School of Engineering of the Boston YMCA (1910-1912), Head of the Department of Civil Engineering (1912-1917), Assistant Dean of the School of Engineering (1914-1917), Dean of the...
Overview Asa Smallidge Knowles (ASK) was the third president of Northeastern University (NU) from 1959 to 1975. Under ASK's leadership, NU expanded its academic offerings, and all of its programs were accredited. Enrollment doubled, and the number of resident students increased dramatically. NU's physical plant grew to include five campuses, and its financial assets experienced significant growth. Between 1967 and 1972, NU faced various student protests concerning student rights, the Black Power...
Overview Kenneth Gilmore Ryder (KGR), the fourth president of Northeastern University (NU) from 1975 to 1989, began his career at NU in 1949 as an instructor of history and government. He was promoted to assistant professor in 1953 and to associate professor in 1956. In 1957, KGR gave up his teaching responsibilities to assume a succession of administrative positions: Dean of Administration (1958-1966), Vice President of University Administration (1967-1970), and Executive Vice President (1971-1975). In...
Overview Asa S. Knowles, Northeastern University's (NU) third president, created the Office of University Development (OUD) in 1959 to increase NU's resources through fundraising activities and campaigns. These activities include Planned Giving, which encourages bequests, annuities, trusts, and life income agreements; Corporation and Foundations, which promotes capital gifts and grants from corporations, foundations, and other organizations; Alumni and Friends, which manages donations from former...