Record Group Term
Found in 123 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Northeastern University's (NU) Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) division was formed in January 1951 with two units, the Corps of Engineers and the Signal Corps. ROTC trained young men (and later young women) to become officers in the United States Army by providing both academic instruction and physical training. ROTC enrolled 886 men in its inaugural year, and by the end of the decade, membership had reached 2,800. By the early 1960s, the NU ROTC program had become the largest in the...
Dates: 1949-1981; Majority of material found within 1951-1969
Overview In 1896 the Evening Institute of the Boston YMCA was established to provide night classes for men working during the day. Courses in business and finance were offered beginning in 1907, and in 1910 the School of Commerce and Finance of the Boston YMCA was officially incorporated. In the following year, the school was accorded degree-granting privileges. In 1916 Northeastern College was created to oversee the activities of the many separate schools. Thereafter, the business department of the...
Dates: 1910-1927; Majority of material found within 1911-1924
Overview Northeastern University's College of Education was formed in 1953 as a result of the growing need for elementary and secondary school educators in the United States. By 1967, it employed 22 faculty members and included five specialized departments. Enrollment in the College of Education peaked in 1970 with over 1,300 undergraduate and 1,001 graduate students and 55 full-time faculty members. In 1980, responding to a decline in enrollment and a decreased need for teachers, the College of...
Dates: 1958-2001; Majority of material found within 1963-1985
Overview Northeastern University School of Law, the first evening law program in Boston, was founded in 1898 as a series of evening courses offered by the Boston Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA). These courses were introduced by Frank Palmer Speare, the Educational Director of the Evening Institute of the Boston YMCA, and later, the first president of Northeastern University. The Evening School of Law, which attracted students who worked during the day and who could not afford tuition to other...
Overview The Northeastern University School of Law is recognized for training attorneys to practice law in the public sector. Founded by the Boston Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) in 1898 as a series of evening courses, it was the first evening law program in Boston. In 1904, the program was incorporated as the Evening School of Law of the Boston YMCA with the power to grant the Bachelor of Law (LLB) degree. Its primary goal was to prepare students for the Massachusetts Bar Examination. Because...
Overview The Northeastern University (NU) School of Law is recognized for training attorneys to practice law in the public sector. Founded by the Boston Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) in 1898 as a series of evening courses, it was the first evening law program in Boston. In 1904, the program was incorporated as the Evening School of Law of the Boston YMCA with the power to grant the Bachelor of Law (LLB) degree. Its primary goal was to prepare students for the Massachusetts Bar Examination....
Overview The School of Law (Evening Division) Student Council met for the first time in the spring of 1947 and continued meeting until 1953, when the School of Law closed.
Overview In 1997, the College of Nursing merged with the Bouvé College of Health Sciences, continuing its graduate and undergraduate programs as the School of Nursing within Bouvé. The merger was intended to raise the profile of health sciences programs at Northeastern and to improve opportunities for collaboration across the health sciences. In 1995, the College of Nursing, along with the Boston-based Center for Community Health Education and Research (CCHER), founded the Health Careers Academy, a high...
Overview The Sigma Epsilon Rho Honor Society at Northeastern University was established on April 11, 1927 in the School of Commerce and Finance (renamed the School of Business in 1928) to encourage academic success, promote the advancement of its members, and support high moral, professional, and scholastic ideals. The fraternity suffered a period of near inactivity between 1940 and 1950, but was revived in 1951. In 1957, the bylaws were rewritten to reflect the School of Business's incorporation into...
Overview The scrapbooks comprise newspaper clippings, from Boston and regional newspapers, concerning the activities of the Northeastern University Department of Athletics. Also included are programs from Northeastern University sports events. One of the scrapbooks is specifically on the NU Crew program from 1964 to 1973. The rest of the scrapbooks contain information on a variety of NU sports, including basketball, football, and track. Please note that the general sports scrapbooks from June 1960...
Overview Northeastern University president Asa Knowles formed the NU Staff Cabinet, as the Staff Council was originally known, in January 1975 out of two existing organizations, the Women's Cabinet and the Technician's Group. The purpose of the Staff Cabinet was to promote harmonious working relationships among the administration, faculty, and weekly payroll staff; exchange information between staff and the university administration; organize social activities and foster friendly extracurricular contact...
Dates: 1962-1994; Majority of material found within 1977-1990
Overview Student extracurricular activities at Northeastern University began in 1917 with the publication of the senior yearbook, the Cauldron. The Department of Student Activities was formed in 1921 and was comprised of a publicity division, the athletic association, and miscellaneous divisional activities. The Division of Music was added later, and by 1925 included a Band, Concert Orchestra, Glee Club and Dramatic Club. The Student Council began in the 1920s. By 1959, the Department of Student...
Dates: 1941-2010; Majority of material found within 1980-1995
Overview The Student Council was created in 1921 as a vehicle for student participation in University affairs. It originally comprised the officers of the senior and junior classes, and the members of the Student Activities Committee which was also created in 1921. In the 1960s, the Council became more active as a mediating body between students and University administration, and it was involved in student implementation of draft resistance counseling, dissemination of abortion and birth control...
Dates: 1940-2008; Majority of material found within 1980s-2000s
Overview Northeastern University established the Stotsky Professorship in Jewish Historical and Cultural Studies in 1991 from a gift by Dr. Bernard A. Stotsky. The professorship supports one faculty member from the College of Arts and Sciences to research broad ethical, cultural, and social issues arising from the Holocaust. During his term of appointment, July 1, 1998 through June 30, 2002, political science professor William F.S. Miles organized a symposium to discuss how the Holocaust has been...
Dates: April 18-20, 2001
Overview In April 1955, President Carl S. Ell invited 46 members of the faculty and staff (active and retired) who had worked together at Northeastern for 25 years to lunch with him at Longwood Towers on May 3, 1955. This marked the first gathering of the group, which would later be formally titled the Twenty-Five-Year Associates. The group was founded "to maintain the close friendly relationships which have contributed to the welfare of the University and the happiness of the Northeastern family over...
Dates: 1967-1995; Majority of material found within 1975-1992
Overview The Northeastern University United States Bicentennial Committee was founded and chaired by Richard W. Bishop, Dean of University Relations, in 1974. In 1975, history professor William M. Fowler assumed the position of committee chair. Working as part of the American Revolution Bicentennial Administration's Bicentennial Colleges and Universities Campus Program, the Bicentennial Committee organized several events and exhibits, including an art exhibit, an exhibit showcasing Boston Red Sox...
Dates: 1968-1985; Majority of material found within 1974-1976
Overview Northeastern's University College was founded in 1960. With an open admissions policy, its mission was to educate adult students with previous work experience, part-time students working toward an undergraduate degree, and full-time students who had varied scheduling requirements. Soon after its founding, the school began offering courses at satellite campuses. Enrollment was 4,000 in 1960, grew to 12,000 by 1975, peaked at 14,000 in 1980, and then declined to 10,700 in 1989 and 7,500 in 1996....
Overview The University Honors Program was established on a university-wide basis in 1986 in order to attract and retain the brightest students to Northeastern University. Honors students take several honors courses and have access to cultural events, conferences, internships, and other opportunities. To receive the College Honors Project Distinction (upon completion of the project) or the University Honors Program Distinction (upon completion of the project and six honors courses, including one honors...
Dates: 1981-2006; Majority of material found within 1997-2005
Overview The Northeastern University (NU) Libraries began as a small collection of books that comprised the library at the Berkeley Street YMCA. Myra White was appointed the first NU librarian in the mid-1930s. By 1953, NU had its own library building, Dodge Hall. Roland H. Moody became the first director of NU's library and led the library in a period of expansion and reorganization that reflected NU's educational aims; collection size more than doubled, staff and budgets grew, and the library engaged...
Dates: 1913-2012; Majority of material found within 1970s-1990s
Overview Northeastern University's (NU) role in the Urban Schools Collaborative began in August 1975 when U.S. District Court Judge W. Arthur Garrity, Jr. ordered the desegregation of Boston's schools. The Court mandate called for 21 universities to assist in providing equal educational opportunity for all Boston Public School children. Under NU President Asa S. Knowles, who chaired the first Steering Committee of the Phase II Desegregation effort, NU was paired with District 7 schools and the planned...
Overview Henry Ellis Warren was an inventor, who developed the first battery-powered clock and the Telechron Clock, the first clock to run on alternating current power. In 1957, his widow, Edith Smith Warren, donated 40 acres of their farm in Ashland, Massachusetts to Northeastern University. The grounds were named the Warren Center for Physical Education and Recreation and hosted an overnight summer camp, Camp Henry Warren, for handicapped and underprivileged children, and children of Northeastern...
Overview Beginning in the 1972-1973 academic year, Northeastern's history department offered a two-semester course in Western Civilization that surveyed the major ideas and institutions of Western Civilization from ancient times to the present. Faculty-prepared course note packets were compiled for each unit and included selections from primary and secondary sources, study questions, and summaries of major themes covered. These course packets were published by Northeastern beginning in 1972 and in...
Overview WRBB, Northeastern University's student radio station, was formed as WNEU in 1962 when a student group known as the Husky Hi-liters began broadcasting out of a small room in the basement of Ell Student Center. The Hi-liters were responsible for the University student broadcasting system which informed students of campus events and activities. In December 1962, the station began transmitting on AM radio, expanding its reach to include two dorms and other locations around campus. The following...
Dates: 1966-2006; Majority of material found within 1996-2000