Record Group Term
Found in 123 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The Barnett Institute of Chemical Analysis and Materials Science was established at Northeastern University in 1973 as the Institute of Chemical Analysis, Applications and Forensic Science. It was founded by Barry Karger and Bill Giessen, professors of chemistry; Norman Rosenblatt, Dean of the College of Criminal Justice; and Karl Weiss, Chair of the Chemistry Department, with a grant from the United States Department of Justice. The Institute spearheaded graduate education and research in...
Dates: 1978-2004 (bulk 1992-2004)
Overview The Boston School of Physical Education was founded in 1913. Co-founder Marjorie Bouvé became the first director. In 1925, citing differences with the corporation, Bouvé resigned from the Boston School of Physical Education and opened the Bouvé School, Incorporated. In 1930, the Boston School of Physical Education and the Bouvé School merged to form the Bouvé-Boston School of Physical Education with Marjorie Bouvé as the director. In 1930, the Bouvé-Boston School of Physical Education...
Dates: 1885-2011 (bulk 1925-1970)
Overview In 1939, Northeastern University (NU) became the first private institution in the country to found a Bureau of Business Research. The Bureau was created to "...make studies and conduct research into the problems of New England business development, expansion of the New England market for New England industry...and investigations into special problems of individual business concerns..." (NU Review, Nov/Dec. 1939, Vol. 1, No. 2). The Bureau began under the guidance of Dr. Asa S. Knowles, then...
Overview Born in Indiana in 1899, Byron K. Elliott was a member of the Northeastern University Corporation from 1954 to 1996 and Board of Trustees from 1955 to 1972. In 1959, he became Chair of the Corporation and the Board of Trustees, and served as such until 1971. In 1963, Elliott also co-developed the Graduate School of Actuarial Science at Northeastern University with Harold A. Garabedian and Asa S. Knowles. Byron K. Elliott earned a Bachelor's degree from Indiana University in 1920 and a law...
Overview Plans for Northeastern University's centennial celebration began in 1990. In 1992, the plans formally took shape under the direction of NU President John A. Curry, assistant director of University Relations Barbara Burke and History Department Chair William M. Fowler. The planning ultimately spanned nine years and culminated with a large celebration that included a concert by the Boston Pops and an appearance by actress Shirley Jones, who is best known for her starring role in the 1970s sitcom...
Dates: 1990-1998 (bulk 1992-1997)
Overview Northeastern University's (NU) Center for Continuing Education (CCE) offered a variety of credit and non-credit evening classes for students and professionals. The Office of Adult and Continuing Education (OACE) opened in 1960 under the direction of Dr. Albert E. Everett. OACE was comprised of four departments: Bureau of Business and Industrial Training, Special Programs in Cooperation with Civic Groups, Special Programs in Cooperation with Professional and Trade Groups, and State-of-the-Art...
Overview The Office for the Support of Effective Teaching was created in 1989, with the goal of improving the effectiveness of professors in the classroom. At its inception, the office focused on improving course and teacher evaluations, faculty portfolios, and classroom skills through brochures, handbooks and workshops. In 1994, further improvement in undergraduate teaching was discussed in several roundtable forums which resulted in more funding for faculty to attend conferences, tenure decisions...
Overview The Center was established in 1976 to house the research files of Asa Knowles' International Encyclopedia of Higher Education. As part of the internationalization of Northeastern, it served as a hub for international activities, arranging conferences on global topics and hosting foreign visitors. The Center conducted research on topics such as the role of multinational corporations in foreign education, the status of women in academics, and an international survey of cooperative education...
Dates: 1966-1986 (bulk 1977-1985)
Overview The first non-denominational Northeastern University chapel service for students was held in 1927. The position of Dean of Chapel was established in 1940, and the Bacon Memorial Chapel was erected in the student center in 1947. After 1960, when NU President Asa Knowles lifted the ban against denominational religious groups on campus, religious life at NU began to flourish. In 1966, the volunteer chaplains formed the Chaplain's Association to help support the administrative aspects of religious...
Dates: 1961-2012 (bulk 1977-2010)
Overview Northeastern University's Center for the Study of Sport in Society (CSSS) was founded by Richard Lapchick in 1984 to increase awareness of sports and their relation to society, and to explore the use of sports in bringing about positive social change. As one of its first projects to reform high school and college sports, in 1985 CSSS established the National Consortium for Academics and Sports to advocate for a balance between academics and athletics. CSSS's programs later addressed more...
Dates: 1978-2003 (1985-1998 bulk)